Skip navigation
1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next 9699 Views 122 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2014 12:12 PM by MikeArmstrong RSS Branched to a new discussion.
ptc-3275727 PTCEmployee 13 posts since
Mar 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2013 7:00 AM

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 now available

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 is now availble for download - either as a CD Image or as a web installer. Active Global Support customers can download the CD image from this location:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=MCD

You can follow the attached instructions to update your license file.

If you don't have a current license and want to try out PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 free for 30 days and then with a reduced functionality set for as long as you like, you can download Express by clicking this link:

http://free-dl.ptc.com/install/pim_installmgr_mathcad.exe

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 includes new features sych as Templates, Math Formatting, Math in Text, the Global Definiiton operator, Custom Function support and many more upgrades. We're always inetrested in feedback so please do upgrade your existing installation or try the product for free and let us know what you think!

Andy McGough

Product Manager - Mathcad.

• WE Platinum 4,224 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Oct 2, 2013 7:33 AM (in response to ptc-3275727)
    Re: PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 now available

Thanks.

Any reason Prime 2 M010 isn't available anymore?

• arbiter007 Bronze 21 posts since
    Sep 13, 2013
    2. Oct 2, 2013 9:21 AM (in response to ptc-3275727)

Never noticed this before, but All Functions listing is only psuedo-alphabetical, e.g., "Solving" is inserted between "Differential Equations" and "Expression Type."  Likewise, "Vector and Matrix" and "String" are not in alphabetical order.

I would suggest that Find be included as part of the free functions, since its utility is much higher than Root, and is more likely to entice people to keep using Mathcad.

TTFN

• Virgil Bronze 57 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008
    3. Oct 2, 2013 10:05 AM (in response to ptc-3275727)

3 versions with the same unfinished and ugly GUI !?!

PTC, you don't get it. Improve the GUI quality !!! The GUI can be changed in 2 weeks. Is it so hard to do?

We should wait another year?

More Problems:

No page width view.

No One page view.

No Two pages view.

No zoom with Ctrl+wheel mouse.

No vector graphic file support (wmf, emf ...)

After you select a region the cursor should be turned into Move on entire region, not only on the border, because is very hard to select the brder.

an so......

I can write several pages but will be for nothing. It seems that PTC should have first an ear examination.

In the end, using Prime with this GUI is like typing using boxing gloves.

Sep 13, 2013
    4. Oct 2, 2013 11:06 AM (in response to ptc-3275727)

You guys couldn't be bothered to make MP3 files readable by MP2?  This will be yet another reason for people to abandon Mathcad altogether. 

All the blather about Mathcad collaboration and sharing of resources that PTC touts just flew out the window.

Nov 3, 2009
    5. Oct 2, 2013 11:15 AM (in response to Virgil)

In the end, using Prime with this GUI is like typing using boxing gloves.

I like this comparison , and unfortunately it is very true

Nov 3, 2009
    6. Oct 2, 2013 11:37 AM (in response to arbiter007)

Mo Det wrote:

You guys couldn't be bothered to make MP3 files readable by MP2?  This will be yet another reason for people to abandon Mathcad altogether. 

I agree. Usually when a company provides materials for their (future and existing) customers its an important goal to make it available to a as broad audience as possible. In Mathcad terms this always meant save it in MC11 format if ever possible and it went without saying that newer version of the program would be able to read older formats without hassle and also would be able to save in older formats. Not so PTC and Prime. At the time they are flooding the community with a myriad of documents, most of them will only be read by P3.

A lot of those worksheets seem to part of a contiguous series but they post them singly one after the other - bad!

Furthermore a lot of those worksheets consist of just a single function - noboday coming to the idea to summarize them in one single file? That all looks like a ridiculous sham of quantity that is simply not there.

Its also questionable if providing those files in a dynamic environment like a discussion forum is really better than on a static webspace. But I understand that PTCs website is a real nightmare to navigate and so is not that much frequented.

• ptc-185959 Bronze 16 posts since
    Jul 8, 2005
    7. Oct 2, 2013 3:23 PM (in response to ptc-3275727)

Prime 3.0 FAQ # 7 Says "easily" convert older worksheets.  Requiring that another version be installed alongside should forbid the use of the word "easily".

Quote:

7. Can I use my old PTC Mathcad worksheets with PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0?

Yes. You can easily convert worksheets from any previous version of PTC Mathcad into PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0. Differences in files will be listed in the conversion process and in the converted file for the user’s review. A detailed Migration Guide is included with the product.

8. Can I use PTC Mathcad 15.0 and PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 with the same license file?

Yes. When you install PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0, you can install PTC Mathcad 15.0 and point it to your PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 license. The converter requires PTC Mathcad 15.0 to be installed so that you can convert any worksheets from past versions of PTC Mathcad.

Nov 3, 2009
    8. Oct 2, 2013 3:56 PM (in response to ptc-185959)

I read in advance that Prime 3 would make it much easier to access files in older formats - if we still can't do it the normal way using the file open menu it seems that was a lie.

Some PTC  employees also promised here that P3 would retrofit the missing support for useful cut and paste. Now I just read here some posts earlier that still no vector graphics would be supported. I hardly can believe that.

Does anyone can explain whats going on her? Whats wrong with those people at PTC?

Sep 13, 2013
    9. Oct 2, 2013 8:24 PM (in response to ptc-185959)

Right, but the converter cannot convert MP2 files, since M15 can't read MP2, therefore, MP3 with M15 still cannot read MP2 files.

TTFN

Nov 3, 2009
    10. Oct 2, 2013 10:15 PM (in response to arbiter007)

I didn't bother downloading and installing Prime 3 yet, but I hardly can believe that P3 can't read P2 files. I doubt it - not even PTC would do such a stupidity, I guess. At least P2 was able to read P1 files without converter in a transparent way as it shoud be and as it should (but doesn't) read MC15 and older formats.

Can you really confirm that P3 is not able to read P2 file format?

Sep 13, 2013
    11. Oct 2, 2013 10:21 PM (in response to WE)

I suppose it's possible there's something not set up correctly in my MP2, but I know I can open MP2 files with MP2 and MP3, and the recently uploaded files by Tudor Marin that were created in MP3 can only be read by my MP3. 

You could possibly confirm that if you download one of the MP3-created files to see if your copy of MP2 can open them.

Thanks in advance

TTFN

• VladimirN. Platinum 2,319 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    12. Oct 2, 2013 10:46 PM (in response to WE)

Werner Exinger wrote:

... Any reason Prime 2 M010 isn't available anymore?...

It's ok with this service release.

Pic_1.png

Attachments:
    Nov 3, 2009
    13. Oct 3, 2013 4:09 AM (in response to VladimirN.)

Yes, its OK now. It was temporarily not available but was fixed in the meantime.

See http://communities.ptc.com/message/222192#222192

Nov 3, 2009
    14. Oct 3, 2013 4:44 AM (in response to arbiter007)

You could possibly confirm that if you download one of the MP3-created files to see if your copy of MP2 can open them.

I won't bother downloading P3 but I can tell you even without doing so that P2 will not be able to read P3 files - all you see is an empty sheet w/o errormessage or the like.

But you claimed in your post http://communities.ptc.com/message/222236#222236 that P3 would not be able to read P2 files which is the other way round and probably not true as I guess:

Mo Det wrote:

Right, but the converter cannot convert MP2 files, since M15 can't read MP2, therefore, MP3 with M15 still cannot read MP2 files.
1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)