Skip navigation
743 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2009 9:13 AM by DELETEME RSS
DELETEME Silver 209 posts since
Dec 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 28, 2009 6:40 AM

What are you guys doing for library parts?

What are you guys doing for library parts, in particular fasteners? Are you buying the PTC library or someone elses? Are you creating your own? do you just download the (mostly junk) files from vendors (McMaster-Carr, etc.)? Are the files coming in filling out your BOM's correctly? I've done fastener libraries per the correct ASME specs for 2 different companies now, the latest has worked out really well. It's a lot of work, but they work far better than anything else we've tried because they are taylored for our BOM repeat regions. Any thoughts on this? think there's a market for custom fastener libraries taylored to a particular company's needs instead of the typical "one-size-fits-all" fastener library? Thanks!
  • ptc-2151062 Bronze 62 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2009 8:09 AM (in response to DELETEME)
    RE: What are you guys doing for library parts?
    You can download the PTC standard fastener library (if you have an active account) for free from PTC.com. While that library is by no means extensive, it has been enough to get by on. Included are both standard and metric hardware. I generally modified the most common fasteners to include component interfaces and custom colors. If a required component is not available from the standard part library, I supplement with McMaster-Carr or specific vendors CAD models. As far as drawings go, we do not make a lot of assembly drawings with hardware callouts, so that has not been a great concern of mine. There is a way to add parameters so that part instances will display correctly in drawings, but it's a pain. I think custom part libraries would be helpful, especially if you could easily change the way information is displayed in BOMs. Andri

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)