Skip navigation
23470 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2013 12:23 PM by ptc-5425686 RSS
ptc-4168579 PTCEmployee 7 posts since
Jan 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2012 7:49 AM

What is Mathcad Express?

Mathcad Express is here! So what is it?

Mathcad Express is a free version of Mathcad that allows any user to utilize some selected features of Mathcad Prime 2.0, for an unlimited time. Mathcad Express gives you the ability to spend more time solving engineering problems, and less time programming, documenting, reporting and verifying their solutions. Mathcad Express was designed to be a powerful analysis tool – it is easy to learn and easy to use.

How does it work?

Mathcad Express does include the full capabilities of Mathcad Prime 2.0 for 30 days, for free. After the 30 day period has ended, you may continue to use the limited functionality of Mathcad Express as long as you like -- the Mathcad Express license will never expire. But there are some differences beyond functionality. You can expect to see in-product messages with information on selected features, training, tips and tricks, and easy ways to purchase the full commercial product. You will also see specific “Mathcad Express” headers and watermarks on worksheets. Should you decide to upgrade to the full product, you will receive the full breadth of Mathcad capabilities and you can eliminate in-product advertising and watermarks.

What’s next?

PTC is committed to delivering the best products to its customers, and it continues to invest in Mathcad. Mathcad Express is a licensing option, requiring minimal R&D resources, but allowing the Mathcad team to include a number of bug fixes and streamline the licensing process – both of which will benefit Maintenance Customers of Mathcad who are planning on upgrading to the latest release. Mathcad Prime 3.0 is scheduled for release in 2013 and will include the following features:

• Templates
  • Math formatting
  • Embedded math in text
  • New numeric functionality

As always, we welcome your questions and comments. Check out the Mathcad product page at PTC.com to download Mathcad Express!

• ValeryOchkov Platinum 6,052 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    Oct 15, 2012 11:09 PM (in response to ptc-4168579)
    Re: What is Mathcad Express?

I found this picture in Internet:

MCPE.png

• Bronze 85 posts since
    Nov 7, 2010
    Oct 16, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

So the software will not be crippled in functionality after 30 days but is only installable twice on the same computer?

If the buy me begs are not too annoying it sounds like an adequate substitute for the old Mathcad Explorer (a long standing wish) an maybe a good solution for education facilities or am I missing something?

Sep 26, 2008
        Oct 16, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Can Mathcad Prime save files and open files?

Mathcad Explorer can not do it!

• Bronze 85 posts since
        Nov 7, 2010
        Oct 21, 2012 4:23 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Michael, from what I see on the screenshots provided by Valery, the functions "solve block", "programming" and "symbolic math" are locked. You did not mention that limitation and just talked about in-product messaging. Can you confirm that missing of functionality? If thats true, I would call it a crippled demo.

BTW, I am asking because I am not willing to install it as I suppose it will bring along and install without asking or even informing the unsuspicious user that awful spyware you call quality agent, as did Prime2.0 M010. An absolut no go (see also http://communities.ptc.com/message/190562#190562)!

Winfrod

• Bronze 85 posts since
        Nov 7, 2010
        Oct 22, 2012 6:20 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Michael E. Clark schrieb:

You are correct -- the full functionality is available only for the first 30 days. After that, the product will revert to Express. There is no need to install the product again. Our goal was to balance in-product messaging so that we are providing infomation and valuable offers, but are not disrupting the user's experience. As always, we welcome your continued feedback!

So I am _not_ correct, as I thought in first place that the full functionality would be available even _after_ the 30 days evaluation - just nagscreens and ads. But reading your inital post again I got it  - ".. allows any user to utilize some selected features ...". Thats not all features - my fault. So not really an option for education facilities.

The questions is: What happens if a user opens with Express a Mathcad document which utilizes features not allowed by Express? Will it still solve the solve block or give the symbolic result for example? It is clear, that the user will not be allowed to make his own symbolic regions, etc., but what about the already existing ones? Express would be only usable as a Mathcad Reader if it would display dynamically any mathcad file. Similar to what Mathtype degrades to after the trial period.

WR

Sep 26, 2008
    Oct 17, 2012 12:32 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

My first calculation in Mathcad Prime Express:

pump.png

Attachments:
    Sep 26, 2008
    Oct 21, 2012 9:49 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

See please about Mathcad Espresso - http://communities.ptc.com/message/190651

Sep 26, 2008
    Oct 22, 2012 6:51 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

OK, Clark!

And what about Mathcad Espresso - http://communities.ptc.com/message/190651

Sep 26, 2008
        Oct 23, 2012 10:14 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Michael E. Clark wrote:

Ha ha! Wouldn't that be interesting -- a la carte pricing just like your neighborhood cafe! Maybe that's possible, some day, in the distant future. But for today, it's one price for full functionality. We think it's worth it!

OK!

I go into a cafe and sit down at a table and I can drink a glass of water for free (Mathcad Express). Next, I want to order a coffee, a hamburger and some one more (Mathcad Espresso). But the waiter tells me that I have to order ALL that they have on the menu (Mathcad Prime).

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-190651-39046/450-285/MC-Espesso.png

Sep 26, 2008
          Oct 24, 2012 12:01 AM (in response to ValeryOchkov)

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Michael E. Clark wrote:

Ha ha! Wouldn't that be interesting -- a la carte pricing just like your neighborhood cafe! Maybe that's possible, some day, in the distant future. But for today, it's one price for full functionality. We think it's worth it!

OK!

I go into a cafe and sit down at a table and I can drink a glass of water for free (Mathcad Express). Next, I want to order a coffee, a hamburger and some one more (Mathcad Espresso). But the waiter tells me that I have to order ALL that they have on the menu (Mathcad Prime).

MC-Espesso.png

I understand that PTC things in first line about commercial successes of projects.

But I thing also that PTC will get more money from the project:

Mathcad Espresso + Mathcad Prime

than from the project

Mathcad Express + Mathcad Prime

Do you understand me!

• AndrazGuncar Copper 2 posts since
    Oct 9, 2008
    Oct 24, 2012 6:34 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Is it possible to integrate creo parametric with mathcad express ?

• SimonLewis Copper 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2006
    Nov 5, 2012 5:54 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Installation Progress

Application - Mathcad

Status - Unsuccessful

End of evaluation

• VladimirN. Platinum 2,339 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    Dec 9, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Comparison Chart Mathcad Express vs. Mathcad Prime 2.0:

Pic_1.PNG

Pic_2.PNG

Pic_3.PNG

Pic_4.PNG

Attachments:
  • lchristensen PTCEmployee 6 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    Dec 18, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

I posted an "official" blog post on PTC Mathcad Express today.

I'm also looking for PTC Mathcad Express reference quotes for an upcoming press release. Do you use the free software and like it? Do you see value in PTC's offering? How? Send me a message! There may be a Mathcad polo in it for appreciated contributors!

Happy holidays!

Lindsey

PTC Mathcad Program Marketing

Sep 26, 2008
      Dec 18, 2012 9:16 AM (in response to lchristensen)

Lindsey M. Christensen wrote:

Do you see value in PTC's offering? How? Send me a message!

PTC Mathcad Program Marketing

See examples please:

http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/rbtpp/RegionAll/eng-index.html

• ELSID Silver 338 posts since
      Dec 4, 2008
      Dec 18, 2012 10:20 AM (in response to lchristensen)

Feels like it's a bloated reader ... because it is a full install which is good for 30 days.  There are other "free" products that give you more functionality, less bloat, and even portability.  Granted, most of the "free" alternatives are not as mature as MathCAD, but it gets the job done.  As an example, one of the "free" programs allows for graphing where MathCAD express does not.

• RogerYeh PTCEmployee 83 posts since
        Mar 28, 2011
        Dec 18, 2012 11:06 AM (in response to ELSID)

Oh, I think that might be a typo.  I just went into Express mode, and I can insert X-Y plots, just not polar, contour, and 3-D.

Untitled.png

• WE Platinum 4,287 posts since
          Nov 3, 2009
          Dec 18, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to RogerYeh)

I am interested in two things concerning MC Express:

1) Is it possible to switch a licensed Prim 2.0 M010 into Express mode temporarily to experience what will work in this version and how bothersome it is?

2) Is MC Express capable to handle and show worksheets created with a licensed Prime2 which utlilizes non-Express features? In other words: is express a viable Mathcad Reader?

WE

• RogerYeh PTCEmployee 83 posts since
            Mar 28, 2011
            Dec 18, 2012 2:38 PM (in response to WE)

1. I am running off of a license server, so switching into Express mode is easy.  I go into Mathcad Options, License tab, and put in a bogus server or port number.  If you're running off of a license file, I suppose you could move that file to a different location?  Not sure...

2. Yes!  So because Prime saves results in the worksheet, Express can open up worksheets created with the full version and see all the results.  If you had 3D plots in there, you could even zoom in, pan, rotate, etc.  Once you re-calculate, then those regions will return an error.  So Express is indeed a "viable reader."

Roger.

Nov 3, 2009
              Dec 18, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to RogerYeh)

1) Yes, changing the license filename or moving the file to a different location does the job, but I have to restart the program and thats bad, as Prime takes so much time until its up and running.

Addendum: Pointing Mathcad (via Mathcad Options, License tab) to a nonexisting file does not work, but pointing it to an invalid file (any file will do) works and does not require a program restart to switch back and forth.

2) Hmmm, had something different in mind when I was talking about a Mathcad Reader. Something which would enable the user to really use a worksheet by changing numbers etc. but e.g. not being able to insert new regions, change functions or the like. The way (according to your answer) express handles existing worksheets with non-express regions or functions (or solve blocks) seems to have not much advantage compared to printing it in a static pdf.

Roger Yeh schrieb:

1. I am running off of a license server, so switching into Express mode is easy.  I go into Mathcad Options, License tab, and put in a bogus server or port number.  If you're running off of a license file, I suppose you could move that file to a different location?  Not sure...

2. Yes!  So because Prime saves results in the worksheet, Express can open up worksheets created with the full version and see all the results.  If you had 3D plots in there, you could even zoom in, pan, rotate, etc.  Once you re-calculate, then those regions will return an error.  So Express is indeed a "viable reader."

Roger.

• ELSID Silver 338 posts since
          Dec 4, 2008
          Dec 18, 2012 4:48 PM (in response to RogerYeh)

Thank you for correcting my comment

Roger Yeh wrote:

Oh, I think that might be a typo.  I just went into Express mode, and I can insert X-Y plots, just not polar, contour, and 3-D.

• StuartBruff Platinum 4,737 posts since
      Jun 1, 2007
      Jan 11, 2013 11:22 AM (in response to lchristensen)

In general, I can accept most of the restrictions put in place in Express.   However, I think the lack of programming is more likely to act as an inhibitor to upgrading than an motivator - there are a significant number of problems that cannot be reasonably be addressed by Prime Express which may lead to it simply not being used and hence not make an upgrade a active consideration (particularly when there are a number of free or cheaper programmable alternatives such as SMath or Python).

Maybe as a marketing experiment, extend the programming (or a n other feature(s)) capability to 6 months / 1 year for some (eg, half) of the Expresses and see if there is any difference in the upgrade figures?

Stuart

• ptc-4911741 Copper 5 posts since
    Jan 11, 2013
    Jan 11, 2013 5:54 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Any plans for linux? There is no math app in linux with convenient paper-like interface.

If you made new app called prime, why not make it crossplatform?

Thanks for free version! Do you plan make more versions? I don't need full version, 1500€ is too expensive for me. But free version functions + 'Symbolics' will be enough for me, but not for 1500€. And I also want use mathcad on ubuntu, but now I can't.

• ptc-5008524 Copper 9 posts since
    Mar 12, 2013
    Mar 12, 2013 9:59 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

I want to download mathcad 15 trial to open files that my mathcad 13 can not. However, the form asks for a company, among other things, and I am a student. If I can register as a student for this web site then why does the form assume everyone has a company? Please help.

• ptc-5241570 Copper 2 posts since
    Sep 3, 2013
    Sep 3, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

We intend to purchase 2 network licenses of Mathcad to be shared between several uesrs. Is Mathcad Express able to be installed on all of the pc's side-by-side with the full version? How should this be implemented? Can it be arranged so that a user can choose between opening Express or the full version as needed?

Thanks for the help.

Nov 3, 2009
      Sep 3, 2013 1:03 PM (in response to ptc-5241570)

We intend to purchase 2 network licenses of Mathcad

float licenses?

Is Mathcad Express able to be installed on all of the pc's side-by-side with the full version?

As far as i know there is no difference. Its just the license file which will make a trial/Express version a full version.

Can it be arranged so that a user can choose between opening Express or the full version as needed?

Not very conveniently, I fear. After you start Prime you can go to the options menu where you can tell Prime where it will find ist license (either point it to a static license file bound to the machine or to a license flexlm server for floaing license). If you point Prime to an invalid file or non-existent server (a bogus port number should suffice) it will go in Express mode. I am not sure but I hope if you do that while Prime uses up one of the flex licenses, that Prime will put back that license first.

• ptc-5241570 Copper 2 posts since
        Sep 3, 2013
        Sep 4, 2013 12:22 PM (in response to WE)

Thanks for the information.

Yes, two floating network licenses. So if we were to have installations on 10 pc's, the first two instances that were opened would grab the full license, and the rest would open as express? If so, then this would be a workable solution. I think it would be a hassle for people to keep changing the port number on their setup. Actually, we might not even have sufficient priveledges to do so.

Nov 3, 2009
          Sep 4, 2013 12:42 PM (in response to ptc-5241570)

So if we were to have installations on 10 pc's, the first two instances that were opened would grab the full license, and the rest would open as express?

I am not sure about that as I lack the experience (as far we never ran out of licenses).

What I know for sure is, that if you point Prime to a bogus licenses server, it will automatically go into Express mode. I don't know what happens if a valid license server is out of licenses but I could imagine that Prime would do the same. maybe someone else can confirm.

• ptc-5425686 Copper 4 posts since
    Dec 13, 2013
    Dec 13, 2013 10:11 AM (in response to ptc-4168579)

Can Mathcad express be used for comercial and professional purposes?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)