Skip navigation
2395 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 3:13 PM by MikeArmstrong RSS
DixieGriffin Bronze 73 posts since
Jul 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 6, 2012 11:37 AM

PRIME 2 - not

I just left a live meeting (it went dead) on Prime 2.  I attempted to convert a simple statics file to Prime 2.  "2" could not handle "insert math mode",  my footer notations did not transfer, I could not get the new footer notations I created to format correctly. I gave up.  I have somewhere around 10000 Mathcad files, I do not have the time to go through this frustration each time I want to convert a file.  If PTC wants people to convert to "2" they need a SEAMLESS converter which retains all features of the converted file.

• ValeryOchkov Platinum 6,079 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    Mar 6, 2012 11:47 AM (in response to DixieGriffin)
    Re: PRIME 2 - not
  • ptc-1177332 Copper 1 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    Mar 15, 2012 8:47 AM (in response to DixieGriffin)

Unfortunately PTC seems to be more concerned with integrating Mathcad into their other applications than destroying all the work users have done over the years.  I have about 12 years worth of Mathcad files that I may have to print hardcopies just so I have a record of them, since I can't count on v15 being there forever.

• MikeArmstrong Diamond 4,210 posts since
      Dec 3, 2008
      Mar 15, 2012 8:54 AM (in response to ptc-1177332)

since I can't count on v15 being there forever.

I have colleagues seriously considering switching to new software packages. They are even willing to start from scratch because they feel it will be quicker than waiting for Prime. PTC really need to make Prime 3.0 fully functional otherwise I feel they will loose valuable users.

Mike

• BTBeilke Copper 3 posts since
        Sep 5, 2011
        Mar 15, 2012 12:20 PM (in response to MikeArmstrong)

Mike Armstrong wrote:

since I can't count on v15 being there forever.

I have colleagues seriously considering switching to new software packages. They are even willing to start from scratch because they feel it will be quicker than waiting for Prime. PTC really need to make Prime 3.0 fully functional otherwise I feel they will loose valuable users.

Mike

That's exactly where I am at.  I've been a loyal Mathcad customer for about 20 years (since college).  However, if my current maintenance agreement runs out before there is a fully functional version of Prime that can seamlessly open my archive of Mathcad worksheets, I'll be seriously looking at all other options. 

My whole PTC/Mathcad experience has been quite disappointing.  As it is, I already feel like PTC has seriously abused their Mathcad maintenance customers by trying to pass off these severely compromised versions of Prime as Mathcad "upgrades". 

Dec 3, 2008
    Mar 15, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to DixieGriffin)

Absolutely agree. This HAS to be the first issue sorted for the next release of Prime. The conversion should be completed in the background with only minimal compatibility issues.

Mike

• ptc-1215629 Copper 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012
    Mar 15, 2012 5:51 PM (in response to DixieGriffin)

I have been a Mathcad user for close to 20 years. The sad thing is that, since PTC took it over, it had become more and mor onerous, tied up as it is in intractable software distribution controls. I have had PRIME1 for about a year. Aside from pretty looking fonts, it is a seriously non-functional mathematical tool; I quit using it almost immediately. Why is PTC so keen on replacing a working software with a broken one? It is not pretty fonts that solve mathematical and engineering problems it is the robust calculational prowess that Matcad used possess. I wonder if the newer versions are being developed by "interior decorator'' type of software people instead of seasoned mathematicians, scientists or engineers with broad experience in software development.

Dec 3, 2008
      Mar 16, 2012 12:53 AM (in response to ptc-1215629)

I have been a Mathcad user for close to 20 years. The sad thing is that, since PTC took it over, it had become more and mor onerous, tied up as it is in intractable software distribution controls. I have had PRIME1 for about a year. Aside from pretty looking fonts, it is a seriously non-functional mathematical tool; I quit using it almost immediately. Why is PTC so keen on replacing a working software with a broken one? It is not pretty fonts that solve mathematical and engineering problems it is the robust calculational prowess that Matcad used possess. I wonder if the newer versions are being developed by "interior decorator'' type of software people instead of seasoned mathematicians, scientists or engineers with broad experience in software development.

Another unhappy customer hey!!!!

I must admit Mathcad Prime 2.0 is much further down the line than Prime 1.0, which you would expect but not at M15 level yet. I have a feeling that Prime 3.0 will be very close in terms of functionality.

Mike

• FredKohlhepp Platinum 1,705 posts since
    Nov 28, 2006
    Mar 16, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to DixieGriffin)

Be careful what you wish for.

If Prime 3 can read old files, then the necessity of bundling Mathcad 15 (as a stand alone, fully functional and powerful program) will disappear.  Can you imagine trying to work around what we have already been told won't be in Prime 3?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 3 points
  • Helpful Answers - 1 points