Skip navigation
1763 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 9:01 AM by AdamHaas RSS
ptc-4279698 Copper 4 posts since
Jan 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 27, 2012 4:25 PM

How to add a fastener

I just started learning creo/elements and I'm sorry if this is a basic question. How do I add a fastener to an assembly? The help pages says insert>connection>fastener. But I don't have a connection choice under the insert menu. Thanks.

• PTCEmployee 325 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010
    Jan 29, 2012 7:55 PM (in response to ptc-4279698)
    Re: How to add a fastener

David,

In short, you create an assembly and then insert components into the assembly. Components are placed using constraints such as Insert, Mate and Align. If you select the cylindrical surface of a hole and then of the fastener, an Insert constraint will automatically be created. You would then add a second constraint by selecting the bottom of the fastener head and the surface it will mate against. You could use the Repeat function to easily place multiple fasteners.

For more in-depth instruction, I would suggest you go to www.ptc.com/go/first and in the Training and Resources tab, you will find FIRST specific curriculum as well as links to our basic Academic Program training materials.

Hope this helps.

Adam

• PTCEmployee 325 posts since
          Feb 12, 2010
          Apr 5, 2012 9:01 AM (in response to ptc-4279698)
          Re: How to add a fastener

David,

Now that you are accumulating your own library of fasteners, there are a couple things you can do with them.

1. You could put them in a common folder and then define that folder as your "library" using the config.pro option “pro_library_dir”. By adding this, when you go to assemble a component, you can click Pro/Library from the Common Folders area (left side) of the Open dialog box.
          2. If you are putting your standard components in a library folder, you will need to also add a search path so that if you open an assembly, Creo will be able to find the components. This can be done with the config.pro option  “search_path”.

An example of the config.pro options I would use to accomplish 1 and 2 above is shown below:

pro_library_dir C:\Users\student\standard_parts

search_path C:\Users\student\standard_parts

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 3 points
  • Helpful Answers - 1 points