Skip navigation
4327 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2011 12:10 AM by MikeArmstrong RSS
dBoggs Bronze 22 posts since
Sep 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2011 1:23 PM

Math formatting in Prime

OK, I can see how to adjust the font size for text regions, but how do you adjust it for math regions?

Math regions seem to be permanently wired to 12-point times roman. The times roman (or similar) I can live with, since the intent is obviously to make the math look like it was typeset, but what about the size?

12-pt height is a little large for my tastes, and I usually make the text regions 10 pts. With M15 and before, I would make both the text and the math 10 pts high so they look consistent. When I import an old sheet into Prime, the text comes in 10 pts but the math is larger, it looks out of proportion, and it usually ends up extending into the right margin (or worse, truncated at the right printable edge).

Please tell me that either I am blind and cannot see how to change this, or else that this is a temporary limitation in Prime 1 and will be changed in the future.

Daryl

• MikeArmstrong Diamond 4,031 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    Jul 5, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to dBoggs)
    Re: Math formatting in Prime

Your correct, there doesn't seem to be an option to change the math font size.

Another feature to be implemented in Prime 2.0 hopefully.

Mike

• VladimirN. Platinum 2,295 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    Jul 24, 2011 11:48 PM (in response to dBoggs)

Well, to change font setting (type and its sizes) is possible only for text areas. But it is possible to look at what parameters of a font ("font-family" and "font-size") are used by default for styles of a designation "Variable" and "Unit". For this purpose we open file Mathcad Prime 1.0".mcdx" in the text editor, for example in Notepad ++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/) where we find a line "mathStyle" to refer to styles of "Variable","Unit" etc.:

Edit_mcdx.gif

Dec 3, 2008
      Jul 25, 2011 4:43 AM (in response to VladimirN.)

That won't help with the formatting though.

Mike

Sep 26, 2010
        Jul 25, 2011 4:49 AM (in response to MikeArmstrong)

I know it. After saving changes in a text editor (if we change the font manually), ".mcdx" file in Prime 1.0 will not open.

Dec 3, 2008
          Jul 25, 2011 4:53 AM (in response to VladimirN.)

Hopefully this will be rectified in Prime 2.0

Mike

• mzeftel Gold 2,704 posts since
            May 11, 2010
            Jul 25, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to MikeArmstrong)

You can select constants, variables, functions, and units in Mathcad Prime 1.0 and use the label feature to do some formatting of math.

1. Under the Math tab > Style , make sure the label is set to what you want, such as unit.

2. Under the Formatting tab > Label Styles you can change some of the formatting for all units, such as bold, italic, underlined and color.

For Mathcad Prime 1.0, you cannot change the point size or font family. That will be a feature to a later release of Mathcad Prime.

Mona

Dec 3, 2008
              Jul 25, 2011 1:22 PM (in response to mzeftel)

You can select constants, variables, functions, and units in Mathcad Prime 1.0 and use the label feature to do some formatting of math.

1. Under the Math tab > Style , make sure the label is set to what you want, such as unit.

2. Under the Formatting tab > Label Styles you can change some of the formatting for all units, such as bold, italic, underlined and color.

Mona,

I am aware that the maths can be formatted in Prime 1.0, but a little surprised that text cannot. It seems like it should be a given that users can choose the text style and size.

Mike

• mzeftel Gold 2,704 posts since
                May 11, 2010
                Jul 25, 2011 2:33 PM (in response to MikeArmstrong)

Mike,

Text can reformatted in Prime 1.0. I was answering the question about formatting math.

For text, there are many formatting options: point size, font, style (bold, italic), highlight color, and then of course paragraph formatting options. Superscript and subscripts are missing from text.

Mona

Dec 3, 2008
                  Aug 24, 2011 2:00 PM (in response to mzeftel)

Text can reformatted in Prime 1.0. I was answering the question about formatting math.

For text, there are many formatting options: point size, font, style (bold, italic), highlight color, and then of course paragraph formatting options. Superscript and subscripts are missing from text.

Sorry Mona for the late response.

I think I got a little confused. I was meant to be talking about the math regions.

Mike

Sep 26, 2010
            Jul 26, 2011 12:11 AM (in response to MikeArmstrong)

Yes, it is necessary to add still much to possibilities Mathcad Prime to reach level MC15.

• Mischa Copper 15 posts since
    Oct 15, 2009
    Aug 24, 2011 5:06 AM (in response to dBoggs)

There is a way to change the font type and size of the math regions, though it is not a simple way and you have to use some software tools. In my case, I use a modified isocpeur-font. With a program to edit fonts, TypeTool, I have copied many characters to the font files MathcadUniMathPrime.otf and MathcadUniMathPrimeItalic.otf. I was also able to scale the font, so it is 10% smaller and approx. 11 pts. It is afcourse not the right way to deal with fonts, but for now I am able to use Prime with the right font.

Attachments:
      Dec 3, 2008
      Aug 24, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to Mischa)

There is a way to change the font type and size of the math regions, though it is not a simple way and you have to use some software tools. In my case, I use a modified isocpeur-font. With a program to edit fonts, TypeTool, I have copied many characters to the font files MathcadUniMathPrime.otf and MathcadUniMathPrimeItalic.otf. I was also able to scale the font, so it is 10% smaller and approx. 11 pts. It is afcourse not the right way to deal with fonts, but for now I am able to use Prime with the right font.

Good work.

While this is a valid alternative and a workaround. I still think should be a given.

Mike

• Mischa Copper 15 posts since
        Oct 15, 2009
        Aug 25, 2011 1:46 AM (in response to MikeArmstrong)

I agree, the font for math regions should be set with no hassle within Mathcad. I have seen all the characters in the MathcadUniMathPrimeItalic.otf. All the special characters (like the rootsign with the right width and hight, greek letters, := sign) are placed in this font that is used for all the characters in math regions. Afcourse these are not standard characters in other fonts. So there is some work to do to create a good solution (like a seperate fontfile for all the special characters).

Dec 3, 2008
          Aug 26, 2011 12:10 AM (in response to Mischa)

I agree, the font for math regions should be set with no hassle within Mathcad. I have seen all the characters in the MathcadUniMathPrimeItalic.otf. All the special characters (like the rootsign with the right width and hight, greek letters, := sign) are placed in this font that is used for all the characters in math regions. Afcourse these are not standard characters in other fonts. So there is some work to do to create a good solution (like a seperate fontfile for all the special characters).

I believe this will be corrected in the future releases of Prime.

Mike

Sep 26, 2010
      Aug 24, 2011 10:55 PM (in response to Mischa)

Also, I would like to note that these fonts (MathcadUniMathPrime.otf and MathcadUniMathPrimeItalic.otf) can be found in the folder "C:\Windows\Fonts".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 3 points
  • Helpful Answers - 1 points