Skip navigation
4142 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2011 2:17 AM by TimBrotherhood RSS
DaleMahalko Bronze 25 posts since
Feb 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2011 7:39 AM

Schools edition: output shapes to mill/lathe?

I do not know what the capabilities are of Schools Edition beyond "just" 3D modeling. (I am assuming the latest downloadable Pro/E version.)

Can you produce 3D shapes that can be exported for milling?

Can Schools Edition directly generate tool paths, or would I need a converter/path-generator like MasterCam to do that?

Our school has the "Light Machines" miniature mill and lathe, which mainly are used to cut wax, plastic, or wood for student assignments.

The students are mainly doing simple handwritten G-code programming, but it would be nice to allow exposure to more realistic CNC with generated parametric surfaces.

• JoshH Gold 403 posts since
      Dec 14, 2006
      Feb 28, 2011 1:52 PM (in response to DaleMahalko)
      Re: Schools edition: output shapes to mill/lathe?

Bummer, you're right!  I say we see what it takes to get this fixed.  Hopefully my comment on this will help your thread get noticed by somebody from PTC.  From my side, I'll dig around and see if I can find some resources.

By the way, what specific mill/lathe setup are you looking at?

• TimBrotherhood PTCEmployee 157 posts since
          Feb 7, 2007
          Mar 10, 2011 2:17 AM (in response to DaleMahalko)
          Re: Schools edition: output shapes to mill/lathe?

The most common method used by Middle and High Schools for CNC cutting is to export an STL file from Creo Elements/Pro.   Attached is a document with instructions how to do this.

CNC machine tools should be supplied with post processing software set up with details about the machine including work envelope, tooling, speeds and feeds etc.  The post procesing software will import the STL file and guide you through choosing the most suitable machining strategy, calculate cutter tool paths and control the machine during the cutting process.

Schools Edition - For colleges who may need more control over the machining process, the Schools Edition has a fully featured 2.5D NC package.  As well as comprehensive NC capability, this module is linked to the CAD model associatively.  Output from the NC module in the Schools Edition is hard coded for the industry standard Fanuc file format which many machine tools will accept.

Schools University Edition - The NC module in this version has full 3D capability and control for 3 and more axes.  It will accept post processors from all major machine tool suppliers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 3 points
  • Helpful Answers - 1 points