Skip navigation
5185 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2011 4:07 PM by ptc-1288854 RSS
ptc-1288854 Gold 157 posts since
Jan 19, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2010 10:38 AM

What Does the Pro/E drawing mode need?

Here's my short list:

1. Object sensitivity for the ribbon so that whatever element you pick selects the appropriate tab in the ribbon.
  2. Ability to modify the ribbon.
  3. Ability to add more buttons to the standard toolbar.
  4. Ability to move the standard toolbar below the ribbon.

Any others?

• GregFrankland Diamond 131 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    Dec 20, 2010 5:07 AM (in response to ptc-1288854)
    Re: What Does the Pro/E drawing mode need?

I think that it may be a good thing to be able to switch ribbon tabs through the RMB menus......

-Greg

• s.iyer Silver 101 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    Jan 26, 2011 8:30 PM (in response to ptc-1288854)

I can list a lot....

1. A context sensitive Top menu. Meaning, when I click on a line, the Sketch menu should get activated and so on...
    2. BOM table should be like Excel, with Wrap text available for the data.
    3. Notes should be a lot more friendly, with the ability to edit in place and combining multiple notes into one
    4. It should be possible to edit dimensions for Tolerances with a WYSIWYG screen.
    5. Initial configuration should be with a wizard, i.e. for ISO / ANSI / DIN / JIS Standards. The user should not customize is everytime the version changes. However, the user may choose to customise it according to his or her company standards.
    6. Hole table should be a lot more user friendly, with the possibility to truncate a long table and insert the balance by the side. Presently, it is possible to do it in the initial placement, but not possible to edit / modify it.
    7. When a bom item is selected, the referred component should get highlighted in the drawing.
    8. Presently, when a drawing is opened, we know the model used to make the drawing, however the converse is not possible. One cannot locate the drawing or Drawings made for a particular model. This should be possible.

These are what that occurs from the top of the mind... May be if I sat down to make a list, a lot more could be listed.

• s.iyer Silver 101 posts since
        Jan 23, 2011
        Jan 27, 2011 9:15 PM (in response to ptc-1288854)

Domingo Hermosillo wrote:

4. Are you talking about geometric tolerances or nominal/limit/bi-lateral?[Dimensional tolerances to ISO system of limits and Geometrical tolerances.]

5. I'm a little unclear on what this would entail.  We use start models, config.sup, config.pro, .dtl files to accomplish this, so company standards are maintained.  Please elaborate.[We use start parts too. But before you create start parts, one needs to create config.pro and config.dtl so that the start parts are configured to our requirement. By  default Proe is configured to ANSI standards. There is no way a metric  user configures the parameters by CHOICE. I want Proe to ask me the  standard for use whether ANSI, ISO, DIN or JIS and Create Config.pro and  config.dtl automatically. Any further modifications to company  standards should be WYSIWYG meaning instead of fiddling around with  meaningless configuration parameters, I should be able to set them on a  GRAPHICAL SCREEN. e.g. when I set the arrow size on a graphical screen  as 3mm, it should set the respective parameters in the background]

6. There has been a lot of improvement of the hole utility over the years, but that's not saying it couldn't be improved even more.  As you mention, switching between straight/threaded holes is one area that could be improved.[Further, the software should recognise all circular protrusion cuts as holes. CBR and CSK holes too should be recognized]

8. Huh, I just checked this out.  I was sure the "where used" utility could do it, but no luck.  This would be handy, although I can see the scope would have to be limited to models that are explicitly added to the drawing and not just in a drawing by inclusion in an assembly.[Fair enough...]

• ptc-399566 Copper 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2006
    Jan 28, 2011 5:05 AM (in response to ptc-1288854)

With 5.0 the object sensitivity is number one. That one issue is preventing me from rolling out 5.0 to my user base.

But beyond that, how about some basic 2D functionality available in nearly any other package?

For example, offset lines and curves. (Offset from both model edges and existing 2D entities.)

How about making the interfaces the same for both crafting and sketcher. IE...In sketcher you don't have to use the control key

when corner trimming but in drafting you do.

I also hate the fact that once a transform is complete I have to completely repeat the command, selection and all. Why not

be able to translate 10mm and is it is not quite where you want it you could go another distance without starting over to nudge

things to the corrct position? Once I select a group of items I should be able to manipulate them without having to reselect to

move rotate and scale.

How about locking an axis with a key press when dragging objects?

Lots of other packages have had these basic abilities for years and years.

• BurtLand Bronze 96 posts since
    Sep 9, 2010
    Feb 12, 2011 4:17 AM (in response to ptc-1288854)

It needs testing with groups of

1. Experienced Users - it should NOT get released into production until its faster to use than WF4 with no ribbon. UIs are not about candy, theyre about efficiency.

2. New Users - they should be able to figure out 90% without instruction or manual. UIs need to be intuiative.

Reinstate the WF4 tool tip when right click querying - boy is that a slow down in WF5.

It desperately needs to be able to do a sweet drawing in PDF format with TTF fonts in multiple languages. This stuff currently works very poorly.

Try running the option   "line_style_standard = std_iso"   and you get pink text - was this intended? And yes we do need this option.

• BurtLand Bronze 96 posts since
        Sep 9, 2010
        Feb 12, 2011 3:47 PM (in response to ptc-1288854)

A small group of testers would have uncovered this issue and stopped all this useless thrashing.

I suspect theres very little testing of software done at all by users - I suspect its tested with software. Bugs seem to go from major revision to major revision without detection.

Whats worse, they havent really got on top of all the little stuff in drawing. I challenge anyone to produce a 'nice' PDF drawing using TTF fonts in WF5. You have to revert to 3rd party PDF printers and stroked fonts. And even the stroked fonts are rubbish - leroy is the wrong height. The PDF implimentation has been handled incompetently.

Frankly all this points to deficient software management systems in PTC - Campbell gets up and presents all sorts of improved quality statistics but it doesnt seem to carry thru to the User experience at all.

To get CREO right they need to go back to basics and test every single element of it by experienced users. Lets hope there is quantum progress on this front because if its not sorted, PTC are going to have a customer revolt on their hands the size of Egypt 

• ptc-1873731 Bronze 30 posts since
      Feb 2, 2010
      Feb 14, 2011 9:13 AM (in response to BurtLand)

One of these config options turn that on in WF5 (in the top tool bar),  summary_help OR provide_pick_message_always.

I hope this is still around in Creo.

Any one know if you can specify the duration delay for when the 'tooltip' shows up?

As far as 'Where-used', Intralink 3.x report this is wehre used, Windchill uses the Related CAD Docs funtion to associated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 3 points
  • Helpful Answers - 1 points