Skip navigation
3460 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2002 12:00 AM by ptc-1178444 RSS
Copper 11 posts since
Jul 13, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2002 12:00 AM

Mathcad 2001i and debugger

Some days ago I was installed the Mathcad 2001i Professional. And I try to debug my Mathcad User DLL for new improvements. When I try to run the Mathcad under my Microsoft Visual Studio debugger I receive next message:
"You must unload your debugger before you can run this program"
And Mathcad automatically exit.
Is this the special improvement from MathSoft?
Does anybody receive this message?
  • ptc-1178444 Copper 754 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    Feb 14, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to oka)
    I can feel your pain! I have the same REALLY ANNOYING problem. I've called Mathsoft and sent a detailed bug report last December and again in January but so far I haven't received any answer.

By the way, if you go to this URL:
    http://www.mathsoft.com/support/mcad2001i/techpolicy.htm
    you will find the following statement:
    "Contacting us by Email
    Email support is available at support@mathsoft.com. A Support Representative will respond to your question within 3 business days. "
    Well these have been 3 loooooooong days...

Xavier
      • Copper 4 posts since
        Feb 18, 2002
        Feb 18, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to oka)
        I have had this problem. It is not a problem with developer studio as I have had the message on a machine which does not have Developer installed.

The latest advice from Mathsoft is to install as Administrator. Open and initialise mathcad as administrator, before logging off. Then log off and log back on as a user. Mathcad should now accessible to users.

Oct 4, 2007
    Feb 18, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to ma)
    I think you're talking about something else here. The problem mentioned by Orlov happens when you try to debug a user DLL using the Developer's Studio debugger. It used to be that this would work fine but with 2001i the debugger is prevented from running by Mathcad itself.
    Xavier
    • Copper 4 posts since
      Feb 18, 2002
      Feb 18, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to ptc-1178444)
      I may be talking about a different aspect of the same problem, from Mathsoft advice it would seem this 'unpack debugger' error is a generic problem with several affects. I attach Mathsoft's advice on it.

----- Forwarded by Jacqui Cheswick/Users/AdeptScientific on 18/02/2002 10:42 -----

One way the Unload debugger error happens is if an Administrator installs Mathcad 2001i and finishes install, logs off and does not run Mathcad and authenticate it. If a non-Admin user logs on and starts Mathcad before it has been authenticated by an admin user then the debugger error appears. This may occur in other situations where non-admin users are running Mathcad.

Can you ask your users to install Mathcad as Administrators. Launch Mathcad and authenticate and then log off and back on again as non-admins? Please let me know how this turns out.

Hope this is some help.

Marc
        Oct 4, 2007
        Feb 18, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to ma)
        This is interesting. In my case however I am always logged in as a member of the Administrators group. Hence, all my software is installed with Administrator "privileges", including Dev. Studio and Mathcad.

What I find comforting though is that apparently Mathsoft has been researching this problem. I still wish they would provide more feedback to the user when a bug is reported. It's OK to tell me it will only be fixed in the next release! But at least let me know that this is not just a problem on my machine.
        Xavier
    Oct 4, 2007
    Feb 27, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to oka)
    I think I just discovered why we're getting the "unload your debugger" message when creating a user DLL: Mathsoft2001i actually installs along with a new piece of licensing software that causes the problem. After installing Mathcad I have a new "C:\C_DILLA\" directory sitting on my HD. This directory contains a hidden subfolder called "SafeCast Product Licences" containing what I assume is the license file itself. Then there is another directory:
    C:\Documents and Settings\xavier\Local Settings\TEMP\~ef87a1\
    which contains a bunch of files. One of them, a text file, reads:

>>
    SafeCast - Example Default Contact File Copyright (C) 1998, 1999 C-Dilla Ltd.

Please contact the helpdesk using one of the following methods:

Address: Mathsoft Engineering & Education, Inc.
    101 Main Street
    Cambridge, Massachussetts 02142.1521
    etc
    <<

More interesting is a file named "S0010409.cfg" which contains a bunch of messages related to licensing issues as well as the dreaded "You must unload your debugger before you can run this program".

In conclusion, it looks as if we are now prevented from running the debugger because this could allow somebody to break through the license protection. I really hope this is only a temporary "feature"... that will soon disappear.

Xavier
  • Copper 130 posts since
    Sep 10, 1999
    Feb 27, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to superres)
    Two more side notes:
    C_dilla uses one (or more) sectors on the HD, so a HD clean can do some harm as well.
    C_dilla can't run any machine and/or HD. On my IBM 570 I can't make any C_dilla protected program run - so far. If somebody have a trick to make it work I'll be happy to hear about it. Until then I'll stay with 2001.
    • mzeftel Gold 2,704 posts since
      May 11, 2010
      Mar 8, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to Steen-disabled)
      The debugging issue arises from copy-protection restrictions.

Here is a workaround. To edit your project, close the Mathcad debug session and then open the project using the following steps:

1) Start Mathcad.exe.
      2) Start the debugger from Visual Studio by attaching to the mathcad.exe process.
      3) Open the source code file related to the DLL or OCX that you wish to debug and place breakpoints where desired. (This assumes that the user DLL or OCX was loaded as a result of launching Mathcad or inserting a component into a worksheet.)
      4) Debug as you normally would have.

We will continue to search for alternative ways for people to write and debug .dlls, and we appreciate your understanding and patience while we investigate other solutions.

If you have further questions about this please contact support@mathsoft.com.

Mona
    Oct 4, 2007
    Nov 11, 2002 12:00 AM (in response to radair)
    At least with 2001i we could attach the debugger to the Mathcad process and get a debug session running.
    Xavier

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)