Skip navigation
5424 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2009 12:00 AM by AlvaroDíaz RSS
Alvaro Copper 2 posts since
Dec 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2006 12:00 AM

x with an over dot

There are a manner to put a dot over a variable? This is, the Newton notation, or something that else.

Thanks a lot.

Alvaro.
    • TomGutman Silver 10,537 posts since
      Oct 22, 2006
      May 3, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to Alvaro)
      x with an over dot
      If you're willing to cheat, you can always design your own font.

� � � � Tom Gutman
    • Ninetrees Silver 649 posts since
      May 12, 2010
      May 4, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to Alvaro)
      x with an over dot
      I would like to see it for the same reasons. I have used the backward tick "`" on the tilde "~" key to indicate derivatives, but I'd also like to see the dotted notation available. I tried a few times to emulate it and all I got was Mathcad blowing up and shutting down.

I think that a solution would have to come from Mathcad unless someone wants to make the character set. Even then, what would we choose? I'd use ...x...theta...y...??? Don't know offhand how I'd like to see it implemented.

Rich
      http://www.DownEastEngineering.com/
      • ptc-1368288 Copper 15,155 posts since
        Nov 15, 2007
        May 4, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to Ninetrees)
        x with an over dot
        Mathematica does a lot of this weird letters. But they don't use in the help sheet. Their fonts are available as soon as you download "Publicon" their math reader. The entire world use ' or d(f(x)/dx and you want a dot over it ... why not a square ?

jmG
        Oct 22, 2006
        x with an over dot
        Here is a copy of something I proposed a while back. I have no way to know whether Mathsoft is considering this. Nor whether they are considering full Unicode support, which would provide an alternative solution (Unicode includes a wide range of combining characters).

� � � � Tom Gutman

Common usage uses a number of embellishments on variables for various purposes. I just ran into the dots, for time derivative. Statistics commonly uses overbars and carets. Supporting such embellishments would allow more equations to be entered into Mathcad the same way they appear in the printed text.

Mathcad already has provision for identifying some special handling of characters, currently supporting the Greek font. I propose extending that for a variety of common embellishments.

Entry would be similar to the current handling of Greek letters. With the cursor positioned after the characer to be embellished, a specific keystroke (ctrl-shift-e seems to be available) is used, followed by a single character specifying the embellishment to be added. The following characters would be available:

. This would add a dot above the character. Multiple dots can be used, and are displayed next to each other. Support for up to three dots is probably sufficient for practical use.

- This would add a bar above the character. It is desirable, but not essential, that such a bar be visually distinct from the complex conjugate bar, I suggest a different weight.

^ This would add a caret above the character.

~ This would add a tilde above the character. This is not the same as using a character with a tilde. While I would not expect it to be used, it would be legitimate to put an embelishment tilde over a character with a tilde, the two tildes need not look the same.

_ This would add a line under the character.

space This would remove the last added embellishments.

When multiple embellishments are applied above a single character they should stack up vertically from bottom to top, except for adjacent dots which should display horizontially. Even without multiple embellishments (other than dots) this would be quite useful, but multiple embellishments add a bit of range.

Using this scheme the embellishments are restricted to being over a single character (although in a multi-character name each character could have it's own embellishment). This is sufficient for most common mathematical use.
        • schneidrax Copper 203 posts since
          Apr 10, 2002
          May 5, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to TomGutman)
          x with an over dot
          Earlier, Tom Gutman proposed that
          >
          >Entry would be similar to the
          >current handling of Greek
          >letters. With the cursor
          >positioned after the characer
          >to be embellished, a specific
          >keystroke (ctrl-shift-e seems
          >to be available) is used,
          >followed by a single character
          >specifying the embellishment
          >to be added.

An alternative entry system, one that is often used in languages/alphabets which employ accents and diacritical marks, is to (1) position the cursor after the character, and then (2) toggle a specific keystroke (possibly double rather than triple) which then cycles through a restrictive set (possibly prescribed by the user) of diacritical marks (e.g. dot, caret, overbar, arrow, tilde, and null).

This approach obviates the need to memorize a multiplicity of keystrokes unique to each mark, albeit at the cost of a restrictive set (since otherwise, the number of toggling strokes could prove excessive).

• Copper 1 posts since
          Nov 8, 2003
          Jan 23, 2009 12:00 AM (in response to TomGutman)
          x with an over dot
          This is what I�ve discovered :
          - To type x-dotted, type x and from Character map-Tahoma font, select-copy "combinable upper dot" (U+0307) and paste in Mathcad
          - To type x-double dotted, type x and from Character map-Tahoma font, select-copy "combinable diaeresis" (U+0308) and paste in Mathcad.
          Good luck
          Attachments:
  • ValeryOchkov Platinum 6,035 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    x with an over dot
    I have a dot in Var Name (on MAS) as.
    The dot is in index A.b.c. But instead A I have... a spase - b.c:=25 b.c/2=12.5

Val
    http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm
    Nov 15, 2007
    x with an over dot
    On 5/3/2006 1:32:16 AM, anhidro wrote:
    >There are a manner to put a
    >dot over a variable? This is,
    >the Newton notation, or
    >something that else.
    >
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Alvaro.

If you want to copy books, convert in Mathcad executable.
    Otherwise, what is the point ?

jmG

Oct 22, 2006
    x with an over dot
    It's been asked for (over in the feature suggestion section), but there is no general way of doing that. Some fonts may have some characters that include an over dot, but that't all that's possible.

� � � � Tom Gutman
    Nov 15, 2007
    May 4, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to ptc-1368288)
    x with an over dot
    The examples in this work sheet are extracted from serious literature . Literature is crippled of typo mistakes...etc. This is why I reject your dot and other gyzmas . If you want to copy pages of literature, just scan them. If you want to teach what the literature is supposed to convey: then make it work first, and to make it work you don't need dot over letter and other gyzmas. Your dot has to be converted, then why doing a useless step in the first place ?

jmG
    Attachments:
    Nov 15, 2007
    May 4, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to superres)
    x with an over dot
    I have seen lot papers with dot, and most valuable somewhat ancient books too. But my recollection it that it was conventionalized ' . I like dot . Think writing and Odeslove font 10 wth f and you see nothing . Dot over it will make it better, but you would have to have all letters dot.
    Like the decimal coma, dot, dot-centered ...
    Same for date 20060505 =
    American (some time ago)... may 05, 2006
    collab 05 may 2006.

I like dot over letter, but vote NO

In fact, following math formulas is easier D^n

In vote for superscript D^n

jmG
  • superres Silver 7,759 posts since
    Jun 1, 2007
    May 4, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to ptc-1368288)
    x with an over dot
    Obviously, the "entire world" does not use only those two forms.

Aero and navigation use almost exclusively the dot form.

TTFN,
    Eden
    Nov 15, 2007
    x with an over dot
    "There will be competition from others such as Maple, too, because the desire for better products is clearly present".

Maple is a different product, more oriented toward classroom use. Maple is something like Mathematica, i.e: not for use.
    Matlab is another story: if your engineering application is not resident = good luck !

jmG
  • Ninetrees Silver 649 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    May 4, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to TomGutman)
    x with an over dot
    What you have written here and the use of Unicode are both good recommendations. It seems to me that more folks are using Mathcad for more purposes: good for Mathsoft's income and the fiture of Mathcad, but greater demands on the product.

There will be competition from others such as Maple, too, because the desire for better products is clearly present.

Rich
    http://www.DownEastEngineering.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)