Skip navigation
1835 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2005 12:00 AM by AlbertSchepers-disabled RSS
Copper 9 posts since
Feb 12, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 24, 2005 12:00 AM

Controls

Hi,

My company both MathCad 12 about 10 months ago and we are now upgrading to 13, witch I believe is a good thing for us. But the question is not there.

What kind of controls do you recommend to put on a worksheet? Web Control are easy to handle, but some times they don't print right. The computer guy spend a entire day trying to figure out why it was printing ok on 1 printer and not the other.

Mathsoft control are a little more complex to handle, but since I know how to use VB it's not a problem for me. The problem is that they don't keep there values when you close the file.

For now, I'm using scriptable component with Microsoft form controls. You can do everything with these controls but you have to do all of it using code. Not all of the Mathcad user here are familiar with VB.

Do you know if some of these issue have been modified in MathCAD 13?

Thanks for your opinion.
  • Copper 123 posts since
    Jan 25, 2000
    Oct 25, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to bedasy-disabled)
    Controls
    When I need a control to print properly (formal calculations, presentation, etc) I capture the image and paste it back into the worksheet. It's STATIC at that point, but at least it prints.

This printing issue has been around for awhile.

Preston
  • A.Non Diamond 10,197 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    Oct 25, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to bedasy-disabled)
    Controls
    There have been no changes to the scripted controls in version 13. However, there is a way to save the state of scripted controls in the worksheet. See these threads:

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?54681,11e#54681

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?58164,63e#58164

Richard
  • Copper 31 posts since
    Aug 6, 2000
    Nov 24, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to ValeryOchkov)
    Controls
    Thank you. I will try but I do not understand the difference. I had simply copied and then modified teh routines to work for myself. I will investigate teh difference and indicate my success :)(or failure :( )
    • Copper 31 posts since
      Aug 6, 2000
      Nov 29, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to AlbertSchepers-disabled)
      Controls
      I did solve my problem. In fact there were two problems.

First when the sheet loaded for some reason it disabled all of the scrpts that I had written. After enabling them then it ran.

There was a second problem however that has kept recurring which was an undetermined error. It turns out that the data files I reference on input were changed for some odd reason, once I corrected that problem the second error disappeared. This second error I believe is a result of the saved state value being not being found in the altered data set.
    May 11, 2010
    Nov 25, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to ValeryOchkov)
    Controls
    If the person opening the worksheet wrote the script, that of course is not a problem.

If you didn't write the script, just disable the script when the worksheet is opened. Then right click on the component, and select "edit script". Unless the script is long and complex (and very few are), it's easy to see if there is anything malicious in there. The main thing to look for is anything to do with the FileSystem Object.

I do understand what you are saying though. Unless it was written by someone I trust, for example Tom, Stuart, or some of the other regular posters, I NEVER let a scripted component in a worksheet downloaded from the Collab run without first checking the code.

Richard
    • ValeryOchkov Platinum 6,052 posts since
      Sep 26, 2008
      Nov 26, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to A.Non)
      Controls & WebControls
      >If the person opening the worksheet wrote the
      >script, that of course is not a problem,
      WHEN the script is not a VIRUS.
      If you can write Mathcad, Word, Excel ets shett witout scripts - do it!
      Use WebControls not Controls with scripts in case when you create a sheet for Mathcad not for MAS too.
      For example with WebControls I have FULL protect my sheets.
      See one picture:

from the book:
      http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/Mathcad_12
      Val
      http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm
        May 11, 2010
        Nov 26, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to ValeryOchkov)
        Controls & WebControls
        On 11/26/2005 2:54:15 AM, VFO wrote:

> WHEN the script is not a VIRUS.

If you wrote it, how can ut be viral? Unless you deliberately wrote it as such, of course.

> Use WebControls not Controls with scripts in
        > case when you create a sheet for Mathcad not for
        > MAS too.

I don't have MAS, and, given the price, I'm never likely to get it. So for me that's a complete non-issue.

> For example with WebControls I have FULL protect
        > my sheets.

I agree that is an advantage of web controls. The fact that in a protected worksheet you can either not change the value of a scripted control at all, or you can not only change the value but also edit the script, change the assignment variable, etc, is annoying. There is no real reason, however, that scripted controls couldn't behave the same way as web controls do in this regard. It's something Mathsoft needs to fix.

Richard
  • Copper 123 posts since
    Jan 25, 2000
    Nov 25, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to bedasy-disabled)
    Controls
    Some users in our company have also been having problems printing certain controls. We have been working directly with MathSoft, and they told us that the printing issues have been corrected and will be included in Release 1. Of course that doesn't help you in the short-term ...

My work-around is to use the controls through the design process, and when I need to print my final calculations I insert a "picture" (manipulating a screenshot) of the control state. It's a pain but at least the control appears correctly.

Preston
    • ValeryOchkov Platinum 6,052 posts since
      Sep 26, 2008
      Nov 28, 2005 12:00 AM (in response to bedasy-disabled)
      Controls
      On 11/26/2005 8:36:12 PM, bedasy wrote:
      >I agree that webcontrols have
      >there advantages. They are
      >easy to use and you can
      >protect them. But they don't
      >always print right (at least
      >with MC12. I haven�t test them
      >with MC13 yet)
      Yes, It is old (Mathcad 11) error. I have asked MathSoft (Beth Porter - http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/Mathcad_12/Beth_Porter.html ) to correct it (and more then 20 others) but no answer. It is strange policy of Mathsoft. It is a policy firms with name Titanic.
      But by printing from brouser not from Mathcad I have no problem.

>I don't see the problem with
      >using scriptable controls. I'm
      >writing my worksheets to do a
      >job the best way I can. I
      >often use scriptable text box
      >to display the result of a
      >logic test so I can change the
      >text color to red if the
      >result is not good. I can't do
      >that with webcontrols.
      >
      >Scriptable object in MathCAD,
      >Word, Excel are very powerful
      >tools and I don't think we
      >should banished them just
      >because some people might use
      >them in a wrong way. I
      >certainly don't have any
      >intention to write a harmful
      >script unless I want to get
      >fire. Just take the precaution
      >to put your security level to
      >Medium so that Mathcad warn
      >you if there is script in a
      >worksheet, and don't open it
      >if you have any doubts about
      >it's source.

Yes, when I use MY scripts - no problems. But Yes, when I use scripts from others I can get virus.
      I try not open files (Mathcad, Word, Excel ets) from others with virus, pardon, with scripts!

Val
      http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)